December 17, 2009

Birthday and the River of Lights

It was my birthday on Tuesday and since no one is going to give me a shout-out, I guess I'll just do it myself. Just kidding. Birthdays are actually becoming a little less exciting as I get older (Surprise, surprise!). I'm 28. There, I said it. Now you don't have to go call the census bureau. Anyway, it was actually a really great birthday. Let me tell you why. First of all, our friends, the Alders and Fears, had us to dinner on Sunday. They made the best homemade pizza I've ever had (soon to be featured on Peachtree Cooking). And, as if that wasn't enough, they bought the yummiest cheesecake ever from Whole Foods that cost more than your Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses. I have such sweet friends here and I'm so grateful to them for making me feel so special on my birthday.
Then, on my actual birthday... Oh, you thought I was done? No, no, no. I kind of ruined the annual Chick-fil-A breakfast in bed this year by getting up and going on a run before the crack of dawn, but, hey, I knew I had to create some kind of calorie deficit for the certain junk-food consumption that was going to be going on that day, right? Anyway, so after I got home, Christian hurried off to Chick-fil-A and got just what I ordered (which has only taken him almost 5 years to perfect). Then, Christian let me take the afternoon "off" (a.k.a.: no kids) and buzz around town (a.k.a.: grocery shopping). When I returned home, he had set up a cute little scavenger hunt for me to find my gift. It was really sweet and so memorable. I think I might make this an annual thing for myself too. :) Is that okay, hon? That night, my brother, Jacob came and babysat for us while we went to dinner at the famous El Pinto (great setting and ambiance, not that great of food) and finished the day off with a movie, The Blind Side (which we loooooved). What a great day! I really couldn't have asked for anything more. Now, on to more exciting things...

We were feeling antsy a couple Monday night's ago, so we hit up the mall for some FHE action. Of course, we can't go to the mall nowadays without letting Oliver ride the carousel.

Amelia and I just waited patiently for Daddy and Oliver on the carousel.




Then, last weekend, we went to the River of Lights with the Reidheads. It was really, really well done and neat. A definite must for families in Albuquerque this time of year.

It was really cold that night, but Amelia wouldn't have known. It was probably in the high 80's under all that padding.

Just a very small sampling. It was awesome.

Again, Oliver and little Berlynn couldn't be separated. They are just such sweet companions.

10 comments:

Eliza said...

What a fun birthday, that sounds like the ideal day. You totally deserved it. Good job chris. those pictures of amelia and oliver are so dang cute as always, I miss their adorable funny ways.

Andrea W. said...

I agree, that honestly sounds like the perfect day. Super impressed, Christian! I'm dying to see that movie. What cute, cute kids. Love the pics.

Jo said...

Chris, how creative to do a b-day gift scavenger hunt. What a nice husband! (Sorry Rebecca; as you see, even in your blog I can't resist indulging in the GSB syndrome).

Anyway, I'm so happy that you had such a special day.

Oliver looks so happy on the carousel horse, and Amelia gets more beautiful every day!

What's the Festival of Lights?

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Rebecca! Sounds like a great day. I like the part about having the afternoon off...
It sounds like you have great friends. Love the pictures of Amelia - she is adorable.

Sowmya said...

Hey Rebecca, peeking into your life just makes my day on some days! From across the oceans, living in India, it's a lot of fun readng about an entirely different culture from up-close! You write from the heart. Great read :D

Kara said...

Happy (err, late) Birthday Rebecca! Sounds like a perfect pre-birthday and birthday!

Rachel said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun time on your birthday. Amelia looks gorgeous in that picture...she really is getting cuter and cuter.

Have you seen our cooking blog this AM? It looks like its on steroids.

Greg said...

You are a lovely lady with a great family and so much going for you. Happy Birthday...and thanks so much for the post. We love to hear about you.

Amelia does look just beautiful. And Sowmya is so right...you do write from the heart.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

oh, that is so sweet! just the fact that he took time and thought about you. happy birthday!

Macy said...

Rebecca,
I hope you had a great Birthday! Sounds like you did. Nice, creative work Chris. I love birthdays. So, I need to know what do you get at Chick-fil-a for breakfast? I guess we have only done lunch there.