June 1, 2008

My sunshine

I was feeling very down the other day. None of the usual compulsive diversions (junky eating, news/blog/email surfing, movies, etc) were sufficient to bring me up (that's always the case though, isn't it?). So finally I had the idea to take Ollie to the mall. We walked around Big 5 playing with all the different kinds of balls. Then we got to the escalators. He insisted on going up and down a few times. Then we ran across a station of those cars kids can sit in that shake. Cost 75 cents but it worked for a quarter for us somehow. Ollie is obsessed with cars these days. Calls them "dada" and won't stop talking about them. If he loses his little white range rover hotwheels car, you got problems. So, he liked the ride and just sat there for a while after the shaking was done. He cried when we finally left but we soon came across a big carousel. We rode that, which was cool, but nauseating. Then we played KB toys for a bit. After that we ran into a free play area that a bunch of other kids were playing in, so Ollie joined them. After that, we were late for dinner but were able to grab and split a junior cinnabon.

During our little outing, my mood went from 30 to 90 out of 100. Something about Oliver just makes me so deeply happy. I think God compensates for all the evil and dark in the world by flooding us with these joyful little ones. They are full of pure light, and nothing has more power to chase the dark away.

11 comments:

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. I'm always amazed at the power that children have to make me happy. Of course, this is most true of the ones I know and love, but it applies to random little kids I see on the street. They just make me smile.

Andrea W. said...

So true, Christian. Especially at this age when everything is so new and exciting they can't help but life your spirits. Davis, I love watching other people brighten up when my kids are being cute or smile or say hi to them.

Eliza said...

wow that is so sweet and so true. I am also amazed at how quickly they can dissolve my temper or bad feelings even if it was directed at them two seconds ago if they just smile or do something funny and cute. good thing b/c I think abe would be a dead man. ; ) lol about cars with ollie, I love little kids obsessions, so cute.

Brynn said...

Great post Rebecca, it makes me want to stop everything and just play with my kids. Kids are magical aren't they?! Thanks for the reminder. ; )

Macy said...

So true. This reminds me of a previous post Ryan wrote on our blog about how we need our kids just as much as they need us. Great post. Was it Chris or Rebecca, btw?

Rachel said...

I could not agree more- kids really do bring you the most joy (and the most anxiety). There is nothing in the world that makes me happier than when my kids are happy.

Rebecca said...

The post was by Christian, BTW...:)

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

So true and great how one little smile, hug, or gesture from our little ones can make all the difference in the world. It's good to focus on that instead of ways they make us crazy...kids, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...(c:

Jami said...

Layne here. I was too lazy to log out of Jami's account. I always knew you were a softie sharkman. I'm glad Ollie has a sluffing buddy to hang out with when he doesn't want to do chores. :)

Jo said...

Such tender thoughts, Chris, and so true. What a blessing these darling little ones are!

Greg said...

Chris, wonderful thoughts beautifully expressed. Every one of these little guys is so special, so unique, so wonderful. How I love that little guy! I'm so very glad he has the daddy he does. What a blessing you and Reba are to him.